Wedding Checklist – One Year, One Month, One Week
Now that you’re engaged, you can start planning the biggest day of your life! A comprehensive wedding checklist can really save you in the long run. Although this time is very exciting, it can also be very overwhelming. Getting a head start and staying on top of things can help make your wedding planning experience much easier for you. Here are a few wedding checklists to get started and keep track of your wedding tasks:
Wedding Checklist: MORE THAN ONE YEAR AWAY
- Decide on the wedding budget (this should be one of the first things you do)
- Pick your date
- Decide which venues – depending on where you live, many venues book 12-24 months in advance, so if you have your heart set on a certain venue, make sure you book it early!
- Choose your photographer – Some people say to wait until a year out for this – but from experience we can tell you that we typically book about half our weddings well over a year in advance. If you want to make sure you get the perfect photographer for your day, book early!
- Hire a wedding coordinator or put together an organized binder and separate folders and sections (or hire a wedding planner)
Wedding Checklist: ONE YEAR AWAY
- Write out the guest list
- Decide who will be officiating your wedding (minister, priest, Justice of the Peace, etc.)
- Choose the members of your wedding party and ask them to be a part of your wedding
- Choose your caterer, florist, and DJ/band
- Book a limo service if you plan on using one
- Select colors or theme for wedding.
- Choose bridesmaids dresses.
- Try on, choose and order bridal gown.
- Plan (and budget) honeymoon.
- Decide on and reserve any rental items you may need for day of wedding (tents, photobooth, etc.)
- Meet with officiant.
- Block off rooms for guests at venue or nearby hotel – if you have out of town guests coming in.
- Talk to your venue & officiant about doing a walk-through rehearsal the day before.
- Register for shower and wedding day gifts.
- Send out Save the Dates (6 months or more ahead)
- Send out Invitations (3-5 months ahead of wedding date)
- Meet with wedding party and delegate duties.
- Taste and order wedding cake.
- Taste and decide on wedding reception menu.
- Select/order/plan bridal party gifts.
- Set up a wedding website.
- Select and reserve groomsmen tuxedos.
- Pick out your wedding bands.
- Order and purchase favors for guests and hotel baskets.
- Finalize floral arrangements, bouquets, boutonnieres, etc.
- Decide on/order/make centerpieces for tables.
- Find hair stylist and make-up artist and book wedding date and trial date appointments.
- Get marriage license (must be done a certain period of time prior to the wedding – check local rules regarding this)
Wedding Checklist: ONE MONTH AWAY
- Finalize seating plan and print out or make table cards.
- Have final dress fitting, make sure all bridesmaids have had final fittings, and groomsmen made final payment on tuxedo rentals.
- Write out a timeline of events for the week and weekend of the wedding.
- Write out vows or confirm with officiator.
- Finalize the menu and have final meetings or conversations with all vendors.
- Do a test-run with hair and make-up artists to find your wedding day look if you have not already done so.
- Decide what jewelry you will be wearing on the day of the wedding & get it cleaned.
Wedding Checklist: ONE WEEK AWAY
- Confirm reservations and plans for the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Confirm the times that the caterer, photographer, and florist will be arriving on the day of the wedding.
- Write out checks or put aside cash for any final payments you need to make to vendors and officiators.
- Confirm times with your bridal party and delegate any tasks you need help with.
What do you think? Should we add anything to the list? Change the timing? Any feedback you can provide would be awesome!